There are many ways to set up your kitchen to make collecting compost easy. Below are some container options, as well as tips and tricks.
You can choose to line your container with a compostable paper bag, or simply rinse occasionally (plastic containers can go in the dishwasher). You can find the above containers online at amazon.com, or you can use a plastic food storage container, which can be found at stores such as Target.
Cons: Due to the size, it will need to be emptied more often and it won’t fit large items. If you choose to line it with a bag, you will go through bags quickly and they may become expensive to purchase.
Tips and Tricks
- Line container with paper products to help absorb liquid or moisture from wet food scraps.
- Wrap especially wet food products such as meat, cooking grease, sauce, and soup in used paper products.
- During warm weather, freeze food scraps until pickup day to combat odor.
- Clean out your fridge, freezer, and cupboards before pickup day and throw out old and expired food.
- Keep your bucket outside in a shady, well-ventilated area.
- Place a brick on top of your bucket to keep the critters out.
- In winter, move your bucket closer to your house for easier access.
- To keep away flies and pests, rub the inside of your bucket with vinegar, or sprinkle rock salt, baking soda, or lime in the bucket.